Tomorrow’s Test: Spelling (just like today), Commas (just like today), Husker Du (S/CD/CX), Vladek.
“Spelling, 2/20.” Write the correct pair. NOT THE LETTER; THE WORDS! NOT COLLABORATIVE!
- group/center a) corpse/core b) core/corpse c) corps/corp d) corps/core
- nugget/rank a) cernel/kernel b) colonel/kernel c) kernel/kernal d) kernel/colonel
- hero/inactive a) idole/idol b) idel/idol c) idle/idol d) idol/idle
- Cheerios/#25489 a) serial/cereal b) cereal/cerial c) cerial/serial d) cereal/serial
- most important/administrator a) princapal/princaple b) principal/principle c) principle/principal d) principal/principal
- who is/who owns a) whose/who’s b) who’s/whose c) who’se/who’s d) who’s/whos’
- it is/it owns a) it’s/its b) its’/its c) it’s/its’
- belongs to them/location a) their/they’re b) there/their c) their/there d) they’re/there
Spelling Bee! How far will your class get before it makes a mistake?
- Best ratio of correct/not correct wins! 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.
Correct Top Part of Commas Sheet. Make sure you have your sheet tomorrow for the test!
“Commas, 2/20.” 1-6: Choose A-I for the comma rule needed for each sentence. I = No commas needed. Use your pink sheet. 7-10: Choose the correct comma combo. You may write the LETTER.
- I asked my BFF the llama with the big ears what she wanted for lunch.
- This easy fun exercise will help you with your llama woes.
- Rachel Ray finds inspiration in cooking her family and her dog.
- I didn’t want to wake you up until I had to.
- She wanted to tame the wild llama but it was too much for her.
- Zoltan that llama doesn’t belong there!
- As the llama goddess she regulated the course of the heavenly bodies and controlled the alternating seasons. a) llama, goddess, bodies, b) goddess, c) goddess, bodies, d) goddess, regulated, bodies, e) OK as is. f) NOTA
- There was no question that the llama’s painting a huge colorful and ugly mural was the worst entry in the art exhibit. a) question, painting, huge, colorful, b) painting, huge, colorful, mural, c) huge, colorful, d) huge, colorful, mural, e) OK as is. f) NOTA
- Sid waited for the llama to arrive so he could get a ride in his hot new Camaro. a) arrive, b) arrive, ride, c) arrive, hot, d) OK as is. e) NOTA
- Because the llama missed the bus he was late for his very important appointment. a) Because, b) bus, c) bus, very, d) OK as is. e) NOTA
Finish Vladek and Discuss:
- Art Spiegelman has said that the final page of Maus II really has at least three endings. With your group, discuss what stories they might be endings of. Be ready to point out which panels or images end each story.
- When MAUS was published, the Washington Post said, “…impossible to describe accurately, and impossible to achieve in any medium but comics.” What do you think about that? Do you think it’s true? Could MAUS have been anything but a comic and been as powerful? Why or why not?