Tomorrow’s Test: Vocab (inc. SAWs), Husker Du, Giver (+ movie?)
It’s The Husker Du Shuffle! Each class gets another one’s HD today!
“Husker Du, 3/23.” Period One gets Period Six’s Test 14.
- She tried to _____ the situation by apologizing to her friend. a) scowl b) begrudge c) content d) devour e) remedy f) NOTA
- The medication seems effective. _____, more research must be done to see if it’s safe. a) But b) Because c) Nevertheless d) So e) NOTA
- _____, it’s best to avoid it. a) Although b) However c) Meanwhile d) Until then e) So
- The part of the story where the midwife won’t take her back. a) climax b) rising action c) falling action d) resolution e) exposition
- A paradox is… a) two doctors. b) a time travel thing c) a contradiction d) a contraption e) NOTA
“Husker Du, 3/23.” Period Two gets Period One’s Test 6.
- My mom said my argument was not ______(ly) ______… a) impact/valid b) potential/sufficient c) demonstrate/considerable d) sufficient/valid e) sufficient/skimpy
- …and I did not ______ the need for a new game system, so I was denied. a) considerable b) demonstrate c) valid d) sufficient e) NOTA
- Months may pass between attacks, but when they do occur, they are violent. a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
- There are shells all over the beach, let’s collect some! a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
- The ______ sets our story, or plot, in motion. a) climax b) inciting action c) exposition d) rising action e) climax
“Husker Du, 3/23.” Period Three gets Period Two’s Test #1. (haw haw)
- Jimmy nodded his head ____(ly), and said, “It would have been wiser to have someone pick you up.” a) sage b) conform c) infer d) bleak e) fathom f) NOTA
- “It’s just because you’re the baby–I mean he loves you a lot. Do you ____?” a) sage b) savvy c) gingerly d) conform e) connotation f) NOTA
- pain : pleasure :: confusion : ____ a) sage b) savvy c) infer d) rueful e) conform f) NOTA
- Even though their _____ are similar, the words nosy and curious have very different _____. a) connotations/denotations b) denotations/connotations.
- I’m a good bowler, and my ball has pretty flowers on it. a) good – adjective, pretty – not b) good – not, pretty – adjective c) both adjectives d) both not
“Husker Du, 3/23.” Period Six gets Period Three’s Test 13.
- Unless you leave Laguna with some good reading skills, you will _____ in high school. a) meander b) bustle c) ample d) deceit e) bounty f) NOTA
- During the Midwife’s affair with the baker, there was a(n) ______ of bread in the cottage. a) ample b) efficacy c) revelry d) glutton e) bounty f) NOTA
- I know Pedro quite well. _____, Pedro happens to be my best friend. a) nevertheless b) as a result c) meanwhile d) still e) NOTA
- Are there political or corporate biases? a) Currency b) Relevance c) Authority d) Accuracy e) Purpose
- Why was Magister Reese watching Alyce at first? a) Because she was pretty. b) Because he wondered why she was so gloomy. c) Because of the way the cat hung around her. d) He’s just weird. e) NOTA
“Vocabulary, 3/23. 10 vocab words + 1 SAW.
I had a 1.____ in my judgement and didn’t have anyone to help me with a(n) 2._____, so my mom’s 3._____ _(previous vocab word -ed)_ into being 4.______(ed). I tried to find some 5. ____(ity) in my room, and I 6.____(ed) out on my bed and sighed. I felt the buzz of my phone in my pocket, but when I reached for it, it turned out to be a 7._____. Then I remembered Mom had taken my phone, and I felt another 8._____ of 9._____(ment) come over me. But as I lay there, I began to 10.____ the situation more calmly, and I saw a 11._____ of hope. All I had to do was…
Visual Vocab Relay!
- The main conflict in “The Pedestrian” is… Mr. Mead v ______
- Where does the police car say it is taking Mr. Mead? a) To jail. b) To be studied for his weirdness. c) To be euthanized. d) To get him a video screen. e) NOTA
- “The Pedestrian” is written in… a) 1st person b) 2nd person c) 3rd person d) 4th person
- “The Forecast” is written in… a) 1st person b) 2nd person c) 3rd person d) 4th person
- Which of the following is closest in its theme to “The Forecast”? a) The Midwife’s Apprentice b) “The Pedestrian” c) “Old Glory” d) The Outsiders e) “Nothing Gold Can Stay”
- Which character doesn’t belong with the others? a) Mr. Mead b) Jonas c) Gran-Da d) the Giver e) Donald f) Ponyboy
- The word forecast in the poem refers to the weatherman’s forecast, but it also adds another meaning for the poem. What else might forecast mean in this poem?
What examples are you going to use for your thesis? M > B or B < M.