“Husker Du, 3/3.” Period One. (Test #19) Answer, not letter, except for #29.
a) enhance b) migration c) conflicted d) fundamental e) attribute f) despite g) integrate h) justify i) valid j) incentive
- 2. The interviewer asked me what I consider to be my best _____. I told them it was my listening ability.
- 3. The patient died during the night _____ our best efforts to save him.
- 9. A dependent clause used as a sentence is called a… a) a phrase b) a fragment c) a run-on d) a subordinate clause e) NOTA
- 16. Rudolpho was upset although his mom made his favorite shnitzel. a) I b) D c) I + D d) D + I
- 29. Read these sentences from different sections of the article.
The Allied powers, which included Britain, France, the United States and many other countries, were harshly criticized after the war for their failure to respond.
Increasing pressure on the Allied powers to create a homeland for Jewish survivors of the Holocaust eventually led to the creation of Israel in 1948.
What is the relationship between these two sentences? a) They describe an effect and its early causes. b) They show action taken to help after initial inaction. c) They describe a fact and its resulting opinions. d) They show a reaction and explain the actions that caused it.
“Husker Du, 3/3.” Period Two. (Test #13) Answer, not letter.
- 1. Mr. Coward was ____ when I saw the 5/10 rating from the guest teacher! a) tantalized b) transgression c) cordial d) disdain e) aghast f) NOTA
- 2. Everyone promised to ______ by Judge Judy’s decision. a) compel b) haggle c) wheedle d) ebb e) intrigue f) NOTA
- 15. The part of the story where Eckels steps off the Path. a) exposition b) inciting incident c) rising action d) climax e) resolution
- 17. The mechanical garden that the Emperor “dreamt to being” represents… a) how the Emperor is as skillful in his own way as the flying man. b) the fragility and beauty of the Emperor’s kingdom. c) how China must look from the sky. d) all of the above. e) NOTA
- 18. The Emperor has the Flying One killed because… a) he thinks he will drops stones on the Great Wall. b) he thinks that the man has an evil heart. c) he fears that someone will use the man’s invention for evil. d) he is jealous of his inventiveness. e) NOTA
“Husker Du, 3/3.” Period Five. (Test #17) Answer, not letter.
a) quarantine b) hypochondria c) pandemonium d) defray e) subjugate f) resolute g) intercede h) disgruntled i) wallow j) pauper
- 3. The prefix of this word means between. _____
- 4. Anja was ______ about not giving up Richieu until it was too late.
- 9. After Johnny and Dally died, Ponyboy was ______(ing) in misery and self-pity, and Darry told him to stop.
- 27. “Volunteered” to go to the bad side at the stadium. a) Ilzecki b) Vladek’s father-in-law c) Wolfe d) Anja’s father e) a friend of Vladek’s family, Mordecai. f) Vladek’s father g) NOTA
- 28. Sent to the bad side at the stadium because of having four kids. a) Tosha b) Mala c) Anja d) Fela e) Vladek’s father f) Mala g) NOTA
“Husker Du, 3/3.” Period Six. (Test #14) Answer, not letter.
a) vivid b) saw c) aspire d) pacify e) daunting f) diminutive g) pragmatic h) volatile i) dilemma j) iconic
- 2. Doing your homework every day before playing video games is a _______ strategy for success.
- 3. It was hard to believe that such a huge voice emanated from such a _______ girl.
- 4. Sixth Period tried to ____ Mr. Coward’s anger with cookies.
- 13. “I had the soup on the stove and the stove just stopped working.” a) exposition b) inciting incident c) rising action d) climax e) falling action f) resolution g) theme h) irony
- 16. “Their world is full of Maple Streets. And we’ll go from one to the other and let them destroy themselves.” a) exposition b) inciting incident c) rising action d) climax e) falling action f) resolution g) theme h) irony
“Vocab, 3/3.” Each word gets used at least once, some twice. I will accept two answers for #4. #10 has a bonus using a word from last week.
5. “For the first time, Jonas saw a little ____ of hope.” Just a little hint that things would be ok.
6. Many amputees say they still feel pain and itching in the missing limbs from time to time. This is called _____ pain.
7. Since he was at the movies with his friend at the time of the crime, he had a(n) _____, so he was released.
8. Much to the store owner’s _____, his political beliefs made customers avoid his place.
9. We spent a(n) _____ week in Tahiti lounging on the beach.
10. The lifeguard’s (previous vocab word -nce) ______(ed) for just a couple minutes, and a kid was hurt.
11. Jonas became _____(ful) of the burden he had to bear, and just wanted his childhood back.
12. As more people moved to the city, it began to ______ out into the nearby farmland.
Checking 600 Words. 2/25-3/3 are the acceptable dates.
While I check, respond to this:
3/3: I think the purpose of school should be…because…
3/3: What if nobody could lie, ever? Benefits? Downsides? Dealbreakers? Why?
“Giver ch 7.” Write the answer, not the letter.
- When parents want to show special affection for a child, they call him/her by number instead of name. a) True b) False
- What does the Chief Elder say about the future Twelves’ differences in her speech? a) Nothing; it’s considered rude to mention differences. b) The differences have determined their futures. c) The differences have stood out more than in previous groups. d) The differences still need to become sameness. e) NOTA
- Why did the Chief Elder make a joke about chastising Asher’s old teacher?
- Why was Asher punished as a Three?
- The Giver is written in ____person.
Da Givah aloud.