“Vocab, 2/13.” Each word used ONCE. (10p)
augment, wretched, meager, suppress, exuberant, impede, fleeting, wry, lethargic, escalate
- The mayfly’s life is very _____. A mayfly only lives to reproduce and is alive for only 24 hours.
- After the police mishandled the fight, it ____(ed) into a riot.
- He tried to ___ his income by selling magazines door to door.
- Although you might think they do, recent studies have concluded that cough _____(ants) don’t really stop your cough.
- Some teachers keep their classrooms very cold because they think it keeps the students from being too ____.
- The amount of food coupons given to the Jews only allowed them very ____ portions, not enough to get by legally.
- The prisoners in Auschwitz were kept in ____ conditions.
- The Lemony Snicket books are known for their ____ humor about seemingly terrible events.
- On the last day of school, the kids ran _____(ly) through the halls.
- His pants were so tight they _____(ed) his movement.
“Dah Givah, ch4.” Not collaborative. Write the ANSWER, not the letter. (5p)
- Why does Jonas have no idea what his assignment might be? (p28/p37)
- Roberto’s release was a sad occasion for all at the House of the Old because he was so well-loved. a) True b) False
- All of these were a part of Roberto’s release ceremony except…a) a review of his life and accomplishments. b) chanting the patriotic anthem. c) speeches from friends and admirers. d) a period of mourning. e) These were all a part of the ceremony.
- (Quote.) Where does Larissa say the Old go when they are released? (2 points: one for the quotation marks.)
Read ch5 aloud. No 1-1-1 required.
Work on Interviews. DUE FRIDAY!
- Introduction: Setting. Description of scene/setting. How it was set up. Why you chose this person. Relationship to this person.
- Description of person. Show, don’t tell.
- Looks. (Details.)
- Voice and choice of words. Delivery.
- Personality. (Bitter? Enthusiastic? Happy? Lost in memories? Crabby? What?)
- The intro/description should be 350-400+ words.
- Questions you asked, followed by answers and follow up.
- You may summarize their answers, but please include at least three good quotes(word for word, as close as you can get) that use the person’s actual words.
- Conclusion: Discuss what you learned, most surprising info, most interesting, change in attitude toward older people, etc. About 75-100+ words.
- Come up with a creative title that sums up the interview.
- Extra Credit: pics.