“Vocab Review, 11/5.” I hope your notebook is organized! The dates for your definitions should match these!
incredulous, aloof, facade, ironic, exploit, conform, savvy, connotation, bliss, gingerly, wistful, reluctant, conducive, indignant, circumvent, leery, illicit, patronize, elicit, vain, siege, delirious
- (8/19) Even though he may not be “book-smart” he has a lot of _____ about the world.
- (8/19) Some people might have called him weird, but he preferred to be called a (non-)_____(ist).
- (8/19) For Esteban, the word dropout had the ____of a delinquent who breaks windows and graffitis and such.
- (8/26) At the party, he stood ______(ly) off to the side of the room, quietly watching the festivities.
- (8/26) It was rather _______ that her dog was run over by an Animal Rescue vehicle.
- (9/9) Moisture and heat help create an environment _____ to the growth of bacteria
- (9/9) A savvy person is usually ______ of a deal that looks too good to be true.
- (9/9) I was _____ when Dad blamed me for breaking the lamp instead of my sister.
- (9/16) The teacher tried to ___ the correct response from the students by giving hints.
- (9/16) I did not want to be ___(ed); I felt I was savvy enough to make my own decisions.
- (9/16) I was _____ to tell the teacher about the cheating I saw, because the person was my friend.
- (9/23) The thief __(ed) the alarm system, and was able to steal the jewels.
- (9/23) The large farm owners are often accused of ____(ing) the workers who pick the crops.
Correct RBC p346/347: Weather Map (5p) + Charts/Graphs (10p)
“RBC – Weather, 11/5.”
- The horizontal lines on p346 represent…
- (p346) Many of the satellite photos we see on tv and on the ‘net are provided by the NOAA. What does that abbreviation stand for?
- In the context of weather (p347), the word precipitation means…
- What does the big capital H on the map on p347 mean?
- What do the shaded bands on the map on p347 represent?
- (p347) Areas of low pressure seem to be associated with… a) warm temperatures b) a lot of wind c) flooding d) precipitation e) cheese
- Which of these is the warmest city on the map on p347? a) San Francisco b) Las Vegas c) Honolulu d) Phoenix e) Miami
- (p347) Which of these cities has weather that is most similar to our current weather? a) San Francisco b) Billings c) Raleigh d) Phoenix e) Miami
- According to the map on p347, about how far is it from San Francisco to Salt Lake City? a) 350 miles b) 1000 miles c) 1500 miles d) 750 miles e) You can’t tell.
ALYCE – to the end!
- Alyce has three good options in Chapter 17; but instead of choosing one of these, she decides to return to the village.
-What are her three options? -Why does she decide to return to the village instead?
- Initially, Jane Sharp would not allow Alyce to be her apprentice again. Why?
- Did Alyce find what she was looking for from life?
- What do you think the main theme of the book is?
- Read the dedication. What does it mean?
-What might Alyce think about living here today and going to 7th Grade classes at Laguna? What makes you think so? What attributes does she have that might make her be successful here and now.