Tomorrow’s Test: HD for your class, Vocab, Giver
“Warm Up, 3/5.” (Counts for 600.) Try to write one or more Compound-Complex sentences.
I + I + D or D + I + I or I + D + I.
“Husker Du, 3/5.” Period One. (Test #19)
a) enhance b) migration c) conflicted d) fundamental e) attribute f) despite g) integrate h) justify i) valid
- 1. The rising cost of electricity provides a strong/powerful _____ to conserve energy.
- 4. You can _____ the flavor of the dish by using fresh herbs.
- 13. The llama passed the test even though he didn’t study. a) I b) D c) I + D d) D + I
- 20. What frustrates Mala so much about Vladek? a) He treats her like a maid. b) He treats her like a nurse. c) He is such a skinflint. d) He makes her feel guilty. e) All of the above. f) NOTA
- 22. Why is Artie worried about portraying Vladek as he really is? a) He thinks people won’t like Vladek, and so they won’t like the book. b) He thinks Vladek will be offended. c) Vladek isn’t really the way Artie shows him. d) He thinks it might be disrespectful to Anja. e) He doesn’t want to further the stereotype of the greedy Jew. f) NOTA
“Husker Du, 3/5.” Period Two. (Test #13)
- 7. Along some parts of the border, they have built a giant fence to try to ______ the flow of illegal immigrant and drugs. a) perceive b) stanch c) resound d) taunt e) adversary f) NOTA
- 9. “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” This means that whoever is doing the _____ is the one judging how beautiful something is. a) groveling b) dispelling c) compelling d) enhancing e) perceiving f) NOTA
- 11. Ponyboy was _____ about appearing in juvenile court. a) adversary b) aplomb c) exhilarated d) apprehensive e) diffident f) NOTA
- 14. Eckels runs off the path because… a) he panics. b) he doesn’t believe Travis. c) he doesn’t care. d) it’s fun. e) he wants to change the future. f) NOTA
- 24. The Emperor would agree that the end justifies the means. a) True b) False
“Husker Du, 3/5.” Period Five. (Test #17)
a) quarantine b) hypochondria c) pandemonium d) defray e) subjugate f) resolute g) intercede h) disgruntled i) wallow j) pauper
- 1. They took up a collection to help _____ the cost of the party.
- 10. After their quarrel, they wouldn’t even ______ each other when they passed in the hall. a) incidence b) initiative c) incorporate d) acknowledge e) transport f) NOTA
- 15. Why were the Jews hung in the middle of the town? a) For hiding old Jews. b) For resisting the Germans. c) For trying to cross the border. d) For dealing in the black market. e) NOTA
- 29. The root of this word was Latin for trickery or illusion. _______ a) prestige b) deprive c) disheveled d) suave e) affectation f) ideology g) acute h) NOTA
- 30. The root of this word was French for hair. _____ a) prestige b) deprive c) disheveled d) suave e) affectation f) ideology g) acute h) NOTA
“Husker Du, 3/5.” Period Six. (Test #14) Answer, not letter.
a) vivid b) saw c) aspire d) pacify e) daunting f) diminutive g) pragmatic h) volatile i) dilemma j) iconic k) skinflint
- The situation on Maple Street became _______ rather quickly, and then everything broke down.
- (2) Mr. Scrooge (“Bah, Humbug”) is the ____ _____.
- The dream was so ____ that I fell out of bed trying to fly.
- forgettable : iconic :: emotional : _______
- Who were the real “monsters”? a) Figure One and Figure Two b) The people of the Twilight Zone. c) The people of Maple Street. d) Whoever sent the ship. e) NOTA
“Vocab, 3/5.” glimmer, phantom, serene, incense (v), surge, alibi, idyllic, sprawl, dismay, lapse, resent
I had a 1.____ in my judgment and got caught because I didn’t have anyone to help me with a(n) 2._____, so my mom’s 3._____ escalated into her being really 4.______(ed). I 5.____(ed) out on my bed in my room, tried to find some 6.______(ity), and sighed. I felt the buzz of my phone in my pocket, but when I reached for it, it turned out to be a 7._____. Then I remembered Mom had taken my phone, and I felt another 8._____ of 9._____(ment) wash over me. But as I lay there, I began to assess the situation more calmly, and I saw a 10._____ of hope. If I asked for forgiveness and changed my ways, maybe I could return to my 11. _______ , 12. ________ life.
Giver, 10-11. ANSWER, not letter.
- Why are The Receiver’s doors locked?
- What is the most conspicuous difference between The Receiver’s dwelling and Jonas’s own dwelling?
- The Receiver looks so old because he is. a) True b) False
- What memories does the Receiver hold?
- What shocked Jonas so much at the end of chapter 10?
- Why was it so exhausting for The Receiver/Giver to give Jonas the memory of snow?
- The Receiver/Giver says he has great _____…
- …but not _____. (Yes, the order matters.)
- The Receiver/Giver says he started Jonas off with memories of pleasure because that’s what worked last time he trained a new receiver. a) True b) False
- We are in the ____ of the story. a) exposition b) inciting incident c) rising action d) climax e) falling action