Tomorrow’s Test: Apostrophes, Vocab, This week’s reading.
- The first digital music players appeared in the ____. (90)
- The _____ house has the best garden gnome. (Castillo)
- _____ idea was it to invite him? (Who)
- _____ dog looks like a buffalo. (Alexis)
- (2) The _____ volleyball team has _____ last home game today. (girl, they)
Bonus: Euthanasia is a euphemism for… Bonus II: The prefix eu means… ________
- intentionally inaccurate statement
- monthly accommodation payment
- governmental revenue ($) enhancement
- chronologically advanced
- friendly fire
- encore telecast
Vocabulary Relay! Original Stylie!
by Emily Dickinson
Much Madness is divinest Sense–
|assent = say yes
demur = say no
discerning = showing good judgement
starkest = most obvious
divinest = most perfect
Together with your group, “translate” the poem.
- What does she mean when she says “‘Tis the Majority In this as ALL, prevail…”?
- What is the message of the poem?
- Give the poem a title that isn’t the first line.
What does the expression, “The end justifies the means” mean?
“The Earth Men.” Collaborative and Open Book. Write the answers not the letters.
- The best word(s) to describe most Martians’ reaction to the Earth men would be… a) fear. b) anger. c) indifference. d) politeness. e) none of the above.
- What does the captain say that finally makes Mr. Aaa stop and listen to him? a) “All the way from Earth.” b) “Mr. Ttt sent us to see you.” c) “Earth. Rocket. Men. Trip. Space.” d) “We came sixty million miles.” e) “We’re from Earth.”
- What is it the Earth men want from the Martians? a) Land. b) They want the Martians to surrender. c) Recognition. d) Goods to trade with Earth. e) All of the above.
- Even though it doesn’t really have anything to do with the story, Ray Bradbury spends time describing a mechanical spider toy that the little girl plays with. What’s the point? a) To show how weird the Martians are. b) To show us a glimpse of what Martian life is like. c) He’s comparing the Earth men to the spider; they are just toys that the Martians play with. d) To show that the girl really isn’t interested in the man’s story. e) B and D.
- It turns out that the line of work a Martian needs to be in to welcome Earth men is… a) military b) government leader c) police d) immigration e) psychology
- “Without noticing them again, as if they had melted down through the floor…” (p23) a) flashback b) foreshadowing c) metaphor d) simile e) NOTA
- What was the Martian’s explanation for the rocket?
- (quote) Why does Mr. Xxx shoot the captain?
- Why does the story end with a “weather report”?
- Which sense is your tactile sense?
- What is the climax of the story?