Checking: KBAR Summary and Vocab Definitions.
“Transitions, 11/14.” Directions: Use a transition only once. Read each sentence carefully so that you can choose an appropriate transition. You won’t use them all.
for example, finally, but, so, still, beyond, nevertheless, to the left, inside, secondly, until, as a result, in fact
- I would like to see you tomorrow, ____ let’s have lunch together.
- My sister loves to eat, ____ I don’t care much about food.
- When you begin an exercise program, you must be careful not to overdo it. My father, _____, hurt his back by exercising too hard without warming up first.
- She had looked everywhere for a job, and was having no luck; _____ she was called for an interview.
- She had been studying for hours. _____, she hoped to do well on the test.
- The building is guarded 24/7, _______ robberies still occasionally occur.
- “If there are no other ideas, then it’s agreed we blame the media.” _____
- Since I hadn’t studied, I was ______ about my chances on the difficult test.
- The hill with the M on it is known _____(ly) as Madonna Mountain, but its real name is… (Bonus: en Espanol.)
- Mr. Calandro is trying to _____ a sense of kindness in the students of Laguna.
- The replays of the rescue ____ TV watchers all over the country.
- The _____ of two full moons in one month is called a blue moon.
- (2) Everyone was talking about the _____ _____ they saw in the sky last night. What the heck was it?
- The root of this word means “shape.” ______
- True or False? Always taking the same route to school is a good example of an idiosyncrasy.
integrate, export, efficient, symbolic, domestic
- The family was rich enough to hire some _____ labor to clean the house and help care for the family.
- Since her schedule is so full and his time is short, she has to be very ______ about doing her homework.
Rewatch the Sneetches video.
“Sneetches Quiz, 11/14.”
- What previous vocab word best describes the attitude of the Star-Belly Sneetches toward the Plain- Belly Sneetches at the beginning of the story?
- (2) What food did the Star Belly Sneetches have at their beach parties?
- What was Mr. McBean’s middle name?
- Before McBean arrives, how is Sneetch society set up?
- “if they should meet one, while they were out walking they’d saunter right by without even ______.”
- “They had stars upon thars!” What does the word “thars” mean?
- Why does Dr. Seuss use the word “eaches” in this poem?
- Why are the Sneetches such a good target for McBean?
- What lesson do the Sneetches finally learn?
- Are the Star- Bellied Sneetches and the Plain-Bellied Sneetches the same or different? Explain.
- After the Plain-Bellied Sneetches go through the machine the first time and come out with stars, the Star-Bellied Sneetches say, “We’re still he best Sneetches and they are the worst.” What makes the Star-Bellied Sneetches think that there is still something different about the Plain-Bellied Sneetches since they now have stars on their bellies?
Time? Yertle the Turtle.