Bonus: What are a pirate’s favorite letters?
Checking SMYKs and diagrams from last night!
“Spelling, 4/24.” Write the answer. NOT COLLABORATIVE!
- young : mature :: stationary : _____
- “_____ is bliss.”
- painful : pleasurable :: together : _____
- option : requirement :: conflict : _____
- The reason we drop the last e from a word like store before we add an ending like age, is that… a) Store ends with a consonant sound. b) The ending age also ends with an e. c) The ending age begins with a consonant d) The ending age makes it an adjective. e) The ending age begins with a vowel.
- The reason we don’t drop the last e from a word like positive before we add an ending like -ly, is that… a) Positive ends with a consonant sound. b) The ending-ly ends with an y. c) The ending -ly begins with a consonant d) The ending -ly makes it an adjective. e) NOTA
- _____ (Bonus: How much did the world record pumpkin weigh? Within 200lbs.)
- After working so hard, he wanted his reward to be something ______, not just a “Good job!”
- He hit a ______ home run. It was at least 500 feet long.
- Luck is ______; one day you have it all good, and the next it’s all bad.
- He made a(n) _____ effort, and his hard work paid off.
- His grade was in a _____ position; one more bad grade and he would be failing…
- (2) …He could not afford to be _____; he had to be _____. (Not wary.)
- * Mr. Coward’s ____ to teaching is a little different from most.
- * (2) During the brainstorming phase, it is ____ that nobody is ____ of any ideas. Save judgement for after.
Tom Sawyer, Chapter 13.
- (5) Show me your map from last night! Not finished? D’oh!
- Give an example from Chapter 13 of Tom insisting on doing things “the hard way” or “by the book.”
- Why are the boys’ consciences bothering them at the end of chapter 13?
- Why does Mark Twain call the boys “curiously inconsistent pirates”? (Last line of Chapter 13.) “Because they are pirates who ________ ________.” (Hint: It also might be called ironic. Hint II: See your answer to the previous question.)
- (4) Translate: “The other pirates envied him this majestic vice, and secretly resolved to acquire it shortly.” (p93) (A vice is a bad habit.)