Tomorrow’s Test: Hmm, let’s see: Husker Du, Vocab, Giver, HD2x
“Husker Du, 3/16.” Periods 1, 3, 6. Test 24.
- Sid waited for the llama to arrive so he could get a ride in his hot new Camaro. a) arrive, b) arrive, ride, c) arrive, hot, d) OK as is. e) NOTA
- What does Francoise mean when she says, “I’ll bet you that Anja’s notebooks were written on both sides of the page…” ? a) Anja had a lot to say. b) Anja had nothing else to do but write in her diary. c) Paper was hard to get. d) Vladek wouldn’t have wasted any paper he could write on. e) NOTA
- Why did Vladek say they wanted to leave Poland after the war? a) “We survived everything just to get shot while the war ends!” b) “The Poles are still killing Jews there!” c) “Let the Germans have a little what they did to the Jews.” d) “It was nothing anymore there for us…” e) NOTA
- Why do the Poles leave Anja alone after the war? (Unlike poor Gelber.) a) She’s a refugee. b) She is also a Pole. c) She didn’t try to get her property back. d) The Jewish organization protected her. e) NOTA
- The llama that she rode to the wedding looked very pretty. a) llama, b) llama, wedding, c) wedding, d) Ok as is. e) NOTA
“Husker Du, 3/16.” Period 2. Test 22.
- Although it seemed essential to eat broccoli, I watched tv instead. a) S b) CD c) CX
- His doctor recommended buying a goat and going water-skiing. a) S b) CD c) CX
- She likes her pizza with onions, so the llama made it that way. a) S b) CD c) CX
- What does Artie mean when he says he had a “sibling rivalry with a snapshot”? a) “Somehow I wish I had been in Auschwitz with my parents…” b) “…so much has to be left out or distorted…” c) “If it wasn’t so pathetic, it’s be kinda funny…” d) “It’s so presumptuous of me…” e) NOTA
- Artie says that even Vladek’s friends don’t like him. a) True b) False
“Vocab, 3/16.” Used properly or not? Write Yes if the word is used properly in the sentence. Write No if it is not. Bonus: Rewrite the Nots, so the word is used correctly.
- The band was so crescendo I couldn’t hear my friend talking.
- She yearned for a better life.
- The buckle bridge was very old and ready to fall.
- I frazzled my homework last night because it was so hard and took so long.
- She drank a magnitude of soda and burped all night.
- The police were vigilant, watching the house 24/7.
- First period acted so regress yesterday; they were just like kindergartners.
- He made a feeble attempt at studying, decided he was too feeble-minded, and gave up.
- The ghost manifested itself at the end of the hall and scared the bejabbers out of me.
- The elephant’s trunk sinuoused out of the enclosure and took the peanut.
- He didn’t understand the peril of his situation and thought he was safe.
- The translation software distorted the meaning of the sentence.
“Dah Givah, 19-20.” Write the letter AND enough of the answer to be able to tell which you chose.
- As Jonas watches the release of the twin, what other memory comes to him? a) The broken leg on the sled b) Gabriel’s smiling face. c) The wounded kid in the war scene. d) Hunger. e) NOTA
- How long has Jonas been in training with the Giver? a) a few weeks b) a few months c) about a year d) a couple of years e) There’s no way to tell.
- The Giver tells Jonas that the worst part of holding the memories is… a) the pain b) having feelings c) it’s really hard d) the loneliness e) NOTA
- What was the Giver’s first sign that he had the power to receive memories like Jonas? a) He saw colors like Jonas. b) He was able to feel pain even with medication. c) He was able to hear music. d) He was able to feel emotions even with the pills. e) NOTA
- What plan do The Giver and Jonas make? a) They will both escape the community together. b) Jonas will break the rules three times so he has to be Released. c) Jonas will start releasing memories to people in the Community to show them what they’re missing. d) Nothing; they will continue on as normal because there’s nothing they can do. e) They fake Jonas drowning in the river. f) NOTA
- The Giver makes Jonas understand that _____ is the meaning of everything. a) joy b) survival of the community c) deep feelings d) caring about others e) NOTA
- What’s the Giver’s plan when his and Jonas’s plan is finished? a) To go Elsewhere like Jonas. b) To hide so the Community doesn’t punish him. c) To become leader of the Community d) To die. e) NOTA
- Whom does Rosemary turn out to have been? a) Jonas’s “sister” b) the Giver’s spouse c) the Giver’s sister d) an outsider e) NOTA
In your notebook, set aside 3 or 4 pages for a chart that looks like this:
|Book.||Movie.||Why the change?||Better/Worse and Why.|
Please keep it out the whole time and add to it as we watch. You will use this later on.