YEE #7. Use your own paper. NDP in upper right corner.
Title: YEE #7. Use 4-digit dates for #1 and #2. Copy only the ones that say “Copy.”
- First Independence Day (M,D,Y):
- Pearl Harbor Day (M,D,Y):
- (Copy.) 10% of 250 = _________
- (Copy.) 24/40 = ______% = ______(letter grade)
- a) ______ books have been sitting b)_______ for a long time; I hope c)______ coming back soon.
- Choose a sentence below, copy it, and label each word with its part of speech.
Homer tripped very awkwardly, and hit his fat head
on the door.
Beetle bravely endured their anger and cruel taunts in silence.
a very scary bear, and we beat a hasty retreat from his lair.
“AlternaYEE, 5/25.” Rerun: The first Mental Floss!
- You have two coins that total 15 cents, but one of them is not a nickel. How is that possible?
- What is the volume of dirt in a hole 6 feet long, 8 feet deep, and 4 feet wide?
- A farmer had seventeen sheep; all but nine died. How many are left?
- What heavy six letter word can you take one letter away from and have eight left?
- You are in a mountain cabin, and it is freezing and dark. The cabin has an old gas lantern, a wood burning stove, and an oil burning heater. You have only one match. Which do you light first?
- A fish weighs 10 pounds plus half its weight. How much does it weigh? (Not a trick; just math.)
LET’S PLAY SCRABBLE.
Scrabble Practice Round. The tourney begins in just over a week! Cash money prizes!
- Each person draws a letter. The letter closest to A goes first. (Blank beats A.)
- Draw continues clockwise (to the left) after that.
- If no one volunteers, the person with the letter farthest from A is scorekeeper.
- Put those letters back and draw seven (7) each.
- Keep score like this (don’t write what’s in the parentheses):
|Jimmy (First Player)
17 (first turn)
6 (second turn)
23 (total so far)
14 (third turn)
37 (total so far)
|Johnny (Second Player)
- First player must put the word down with a letter on the Star (2x word) in the middle.
- Left to right, top to bottom; not diagonal, not bottom to top!
- Suggestion: no more than 2 minutes per person.
- NO! NO! NO!
- NO abbreviations or contractions
- NO foreign words
- NO proper nouns (nouns you would normally capitalize)
- (Check the dictionary.)
Multiplier squares are one use only!
Extra credit for anyone who breaks 75.