“Vocabulary, 8/20/19.” All answers will be vocabulary words. Use your definitions and your group homies to help you. For #1-4, choose which word best fits the picture, and be prepared to explain why you think so. If you can justify more than one word for a picture, you might receive bonus credit.
bliss, infer, bleak, nonchalant, gingerly, rueful, savvy, conform, sage, fathom, connotation
- pain : pleasure :: confusion : ______
- rules : requirements :: happiness : ____
- For Esteban, the word dropout had the ____ of a gang member with a can a spray paint.
- I was able to _____ the meaning of the word from the way it was used.
- Nobody could _____ why he liked school so much even though he got all F’s.
- Even though I was nervous, I tried to act cool and ______.
by Langston Hughes
I play it cool
and dig all jive.
That’s the reason
I stay alive.
As I live and learn
Dig and Be Dug
|“Motto, 8/20.” (in your notebook)
1) What is a motto?
2) What do you think he means by “Dig and Be Dug In Return”?
3) What other saying(s) have you heard or use might mean something similar?
Audio Feature: The concept of “digging.”
Short Explanation Paper Assignment. Due Friday.