Vladek, chapter 2 aloud.
“SAWs+, 1/9.” contact, prime, pose, minimum, (un)monitored, anthropomorphic, propaganda
- (2) The _____ height requirement ____(ed) a problem for my little brother, who wanted to ride the extreme coaster, but was too short.
- There was ____ on the play, but not enough to call a penalty.
- It was very sad that the young man was killed in the _____ of his life.
- Please do not leave the campfire _____. It can turn dangerous quickly.
- Remembering the P part of CRAAP will help you recognize ______ when you see it.
- Goofy is _____, while Pluto is not.
- I hoped everyone is ____(ed) for their 120 Seconds and ready to nail it!
- The test was closely ____, so nobody could cheat.
- The morph in anthropomorphic means…
- The anthro in anthropomorphic means…
“Maus Log II, 1/9.” Open Book, Open Neighbor. (12p)
- (2) What things does Artie say have “taken their toll” on his father?
- What physical sign does Vladek still have from the concentration camps?
- Why is Chapter One called “The Sheik”? (Because…)
- On p14, the circular panel marks the beginning of Vladek’s story in the past. Where do we first interrupt that story, and come back to the present for a moment? (page and panel)
- Maus is told in ____ person. a) 1st b) 2nd c) 3rd d) 4th
- What year did Vladek meet Anja? (p17)
Character ID. Identify each person either by name (if given) or by explanation.
- p13, panel 4, the one in the dress.
- (2) p17, panel 2, both characters.
- p20, panel 1, the person with the cigarette.
- p20, last panel, the person on the right.
Artie, Vladek, Anja, Lucia Greenberg, Anja’s mom, Mala
Time left? More Vladek!
Copy homework into planner.
120 Seconds begins tomorrow! Review.
Maus by Art Spiegelman. Pulitzer Prize for Literature in 1992. It took him 13 years.
“Maus Log I – 1/8/18” Read the first two pages:
- Translate his father’s last sentence into a normal English sentence. What does he mean?
Aloud. Chapter One. Drama style with parts.
Review 120 Seconds.
We start when we get back. Here’s another (slightly too long) demo.
whereas, capable, ongoing, compatible, notion
1. _____ 2. _____ 3. _____ 4. _____ 5. _____
Jimmy was a 6)______ worker and his friendly personality made him 7)______ with the team, 8)_____ Joey had the 9)_____ that he was too good for the job and had 10)______ problems until he was fired.
consequence, undernourished, extract, modify.
11. _____ 12. _____ 13. _____ 14. _____
“Euphemisms II.” Translate each euphemism.
Bonus: Euthanasia is a euphemism for…
Bonus II: The prefix eu means… ________
- intentionally inaccurate statement
- monthly housing accommodation payment
- governmental revenue ($) enhancement
- encore telecast
- chronologically challenged (chron = time after the Greek god, Chronos.)
“The Pedestrian” and “The Forecast” p196.
Bonus: What does the prefix ped- mean?
“OG/Ped Quiz, 12/20.” Write the answer, not the letter.
- Why did Gran-Da try to burn the flag?
- Why did Donald turn him in?
- “Old Glory” was written in… a) 1st person b) 2nd person c) 3rd person d) 4th person
- The main conflict in “The Pedestrian” is…
- “The Pedestrian” is written in… a) 1st person b) 2nd person c) 3rd person d) 4th person
- “The Forecast” is written in… a) 1st person b) 2nd person c) 3rd person d) 4th person
- Which of the following is closest in its theme to “The Forecast”? a) The Midwife’s Apprentice b) “The Pedestrian” c) “Old Glory” d) The Outsiders e) “Nothing Gold Can Stay” f) “Motto”
- The word forecast in the poem refers to the weatherman’s forecast, but it also adds another meaning for the poem. What else is the poem forecasting?
- (2) Which character doesn’t belong with the others? Why? a) Pony b) Alyce c) Gran-Da d) Donald e) Mr. Mead
If you haven’t yet printed your research, do it now.
- Abby is a _____ form of Abigail.
- George Washington and Abraham Lincoln are _____ figures in American history.
- She faced a _____ about turning in her friend for cheating.
- The villagers sacrificed a >_____< to try to _____ their angry god. (>___< = Previous vocab word.)
- The amount of work required in an Honors class can be quite _____.
- The dream was so ____ that I fell out of bed trying to fly.
- inspiring : daunting :: stable : ______
- skinflint : benevolent :: ______ : easy
- Give an example of a saw that is different from the one you used for your SMYK.
Intro to 120 Seconds!
It begins when we get back, so PRACTICE!
PRINT LINK. DO NOT PRINT WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM ME!
“Clauses, 2/1.” 1-5: S,CD,CX? 6-8: Answer not letter.
- When Zoltan lost his wallet, even the llama helped him look for it.
- As part of his occupation, Ziggy had a llama with a leather jacket that anyone could see was fake.
- Since Zinny didn’t want to embarrass the llama, she didn’t act affectionate.
- Zora’s doctor recommended buying a goat and going water-skiing.
- It seemed essential to eat broccoli, but Zeke watched tv instead.
- Words like although, because, since, and if at the beginning of a clause make that clause _____. a) dependent b) independent c) a sentence d) compound e) NOTA
- And if a sentence has that kind of clause in it, it’s a _______ sentence. a) S b) CD c) CX
- So sentences that begin with the word if will always be ______. a) S b) CD c) CX
- *There used to be a TV show called The ____ Gourmet which showed you how to eat well without spending a lot of money.
- Art Spiegelman once published magazines of ____ comics like “The Prisoner on the Hell Planet.”
- The diplomats rushed to ______ together a treaty before everyone changed his mind.
- Horror movies are sort of ________ for many people.
- “I never knew a person more _____ than myself. The fact that I say that shows what I say is true.”
- Artie says Richieu’s picture on the wall of his parents’ room was a sort of _____ to him, implying that Richieu would have been a better son than he is.
- (2) She tried to stay awake during math, but it was ______, and she finally ______(ed) to the sleepiness and nodded off.
120 Seconds (in some classes).
Correct Vladek Quiz from yesterday.
Vladek aloud. Upcoming questions:
- What happened to the guy who turned Vladek’s family into the Gestapo?
- What saved Vladek’s life on p120?
- Besides Haskell, who else did Vladek call a kombinator? ___________
- Who paid Vladek to give him advice? _____________
- What happens to Pesach?
- Why are the roads on p127 shaped like a swastika?
- (quote) Why is Artie worried about portraying Vladek as he really is?
- (quote) What frustrates Mala so much about Vladek?
- (quote) Why is Anja’s tail showing on page 138?
- He didn’t want to embarrass the cat. — Add an independent clause to make a COMPOUND sentence.
- I read the bulletin about llamas. — Add a dependent clause to make a COMPLEX sentence.
- The goat went fishing. — Add another subject and verb, BUT keep the sentence SIMPLE.
- It would be _____ of a dishwasher to tell the master chef how to do things.
- All her emotions were released in a ___ moment on the stage as 20,000 people cheered.
- Much of the agriculture in the rest of the world is made up of _____(ence) farms, that barely grow enough food for the family working on it.
- MacGyver could ____ together almost anything from a bomb to a hang-glider from bits of trash he found lying around.
- The athlete was ___ about the use of steroids. He knew they were harmful, but they helped his performance.
- After the long siege, the city knew it was ____ to resist any longer…
- …and they finally _____(ed) to the stronger army.
- Though he came from a very religious family, he was still _____ about organized religion; he wasn’t sure what to think.
Vladek in his own words, p111.
Vladek Quiz. ID. (8)
- (2) Last page of “Prisoner on the Hell Planet, panel 3, the woman.
- (2) p109, panel 4, the man talking.
- (2) p115, panel 3, the person with his arms crossed.