“Vocab, 2/7.” (15)
- The prefix of this word means under. _____
- We were completely _____(ed) by the amazing acrobatic performance.
- Their argument probably would have become violent if the llama hadn’t _____(ed).
- The poor villagers needed someone to _______ on their behalf and help them to be treated fairly.
- Fifth period is often the scene of _____, and that is why they rarely get a “10” from a guest teacher.
- We held a carwash to help ______ the cost of the trip.
- (2) They separated all the people with _____ to an imaginary ______. (haha)
- * (3) Three of the five SAWs this week can be used either as a noun or a verb. Which three?
“Sentence Combining/Clauses, 2/7.”
- Mala finally left. She couldn’t deal with Vladek any more. She went to Florida. (CD/CX)
- He knew it was a mistake. He ate the doughnut. (CX)
- He had a llama. The llama had a leather jacket. The llama was part of his occupation. (CX)
- The doctor had recommendations. His first recommendation was water-skiing. He said the water-skiing should involve a llama. His other recommendation was to take more naps. (S!? Hint: -ed, with, and, -ing)
Interviews. Work on physical description and interview circumstances.
“Hello Papa. I was wondering if you had time to start the interview right now?” I sent the text to my Grandpa, whom I refer to as Papa. “Sure, that’ll be fine. I’ll get ready” he sent back. I grabbed my notebook and pencils, questions, and tape recorder and headed into the office room. We had set up a week ago to FaceTime; he said he would be glad to answer my questions. The window right next to the computer was making a lot of noise, so I shut it. I logged into FaceTime, and got a call from Papa a few minutes after.
He was FaceTiming me from his iPad camera, situated in the living room. He held the iPad at an upward angle, showing most of the top of his head. I started the recorder and we got started.
Papa has short, dark grey hair that is very soft and thin. He has a large bald spot on the top of his head, and the bald spot always looks shiny. He has yellow looking teeth and a smile that lights up the entire room. Papa’s eyes are a sky blue, protected by square glasses that catch every glimpse of light. His ears are big, so are his smile wrinkles and dimples.
Papa’s voice is deep but smooth, sometimes replaced by coughing. He has a very distinct scent that sticks to all of his clothes. Papa is 75 years old and lives near the sea in San Diego, California. He was originally born in Canada. Papa is fond of traveling to very different places and playing golf with his friends. He is very laid back and chill, and laughs with a smile you can see in his eyes. He is very intelligent and “tech savvy” as well. Papa enjoys to write letters to me, and I enjoy writing back.
Anne Bachmann is 74 years old, and is fit for her age. She swims every day at 5:30 AM for one hour at a swimming club close to her house. She looks like a very kind person, and she is. She has light brown hair that is thin and vibrant blue eyes. Her voice is very inviting and sweet, light but demanding. She has many wrinkles, because she smiles so much. Her smile is amazing. It could easily make anyones day. Her teeth aren’t quite white, but they definitely aren’t yellow.
I chose this person because she does so much even at her age, and she’s a pretty awesome grandma. I asked her if she would like to do the interview at my great uncles, and she said she would love to, so we scheduled a phone call later the next day. This interview took place over phone. I’m in my room with my pencil, questions, and computer at the ready. I pick up my phone and dial my grandpa’s and grandma’s home phone because my grandma doesn’t know how to use her Samsung Galaxy S6. I look at the questions and start to right down the first question. “Hi grandma.”
“Hey there Joey!”
“Are you ready to start the interview?”
“Sure, what’s the first question?” And the interview began.