Put your slang paragraph into my assistant’s basket.
I will be checking a double-shot of KBARR while you warm up.
Tomorrow’s Test: Vocabulary (duh), Adjectives, Outsiders, Husker Du.
“Warm Up, 9/3/15.” Do not copy. #10 is NOT a vocab word.
- _____ (Be prepared to explain why.)
- It would be ironic if you suddenly decided not to get on a plane, and then the plane crashed. True / False
- It would be ironic for a pilot to be scared of heights. True / False
- laugh : happy :: _______ : hurt
- I tried to act cheerful, but it was just a __. I was really depressed inside.
- If you make the Scholar List you are a part of the educational _______.
- Even after I read the poem three times, the meaning still ______(ed) me.
- The root cred, as in incredulous and incredible, means to _______.
- I wonder how Vivian can afford to wear the very latest styles. List the adjective(s) in that sentence.
- A savvy Kal-El knew just what to do. Adjective or not? (Bonus Extra Credit: Who is Kal-El?)
Vocabulary Relay! Beat the clock and the other classes!
Next Writing Assignment:
SHOW not TELL
“Don’t tell us that the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream.”
cool, pretty, fun, scary, weird, ugly
What does each of these things LOOK like?
These are actually opinions, NOT descriptions! (Yes, I know they are technically adjectives.)
What’s “cool” to you could be “gross” to me or your mom!
You need to show us what this looks, sounds, tastes, smells, feels like!
Describe in detail what this might LOOK/SOUND like:
Compare two examples…
“My Room is Such a Mess” due next Thursday, 9/10.
Show me the most nightmarish room imaginable. I want to feel, see, hear, taste (ewww), smell everything.
350+ words, ink, ndp, title, mess(y), gross, disgusting, dirty, stinky, etc.
Time? The Outsiders
Remember the scene in biology, where Pony pulled out his switchblade? What does Pony’s reaction tell us about how he feels about being a greaser?
What is the difference between an internal and external conflict?