Due: SMYKs’s and 1-1-1 for 11-12.
NOTICE of HOMEWORK CHANGE: No response needed for chapters 15-16 (Thursday’s reading.)
“Husker Du, 3/7.” Write the answer.
Period One: Test #18.
- How does Vladek avoid a beating by the German soldier after he was captured? a) Vladek speaks English to him. b) Vladek bribes him. c) Vladek begs him. d) Vladek speaks German to him. e) NOTA
- Maus is told in ____ person. a) 1st b) 2nd c) 3rd d) 4th
- Since Jenni ate the hot dog, she got sick. a) independent b) dependent c) not a clause
- Jack was much quicker than the llama was. a) independent b) dependent c) not a clause
- Joe ate the hot dog even though the llama told him not to. a) independent b) dependent c) not a clause
Period Two: Test #14.
a) reluctant b) contented c) barren d) surfeit e) prosperous f) scowl g) begrudge h) lout i) berate j) graft
- Some people in this class have such a _____ of points that they could skip a test, take a zero, and still have an A.
- “Too much ale and too few wits” = a _______.
- One of the things that Edward had, that Alyce wanted, was a ______ heart.
- True or False? In your paper on genetics, you note that humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes. You didn’t know this before you researched, but decide not to provide a citation for this information, since all biology textbooks contain this information. You did the right thing.
- A paradox is… a) two doctors. b) a time travel thing c) a contradiction d) a device or machine e) NOTA
Period Three: Test #8.
a) intrigue b) benevolent c) apprehensive d) wheedle e) sift f) transgression g) aghast h) ebb i) nondescript j) enhance
- The new landscaping in front of the house really _____(ed) its value.
- I found your story _______(ing), but finally unbelievable.
- Genevieve’s wardrobe was rather ______ and boring until she went on the show What Not to Wear.
- “Why don’t you get a job?” asked Steve. “What?” Two-Bit was ____ “And ruin my rep?”
- Ponyboy was _____ about appearing in juvenile court. He was worried the family would be separated.
Period Five: Test #16.
a) vocational b) whereas c) inherent d) focus e) exceed f) comprise g) paradigm
- Most human beings are _____(ly) social creatures who naturally seek out interactions with others.
- Tomorrow’s test will ____ three sections: vocabulary, SAWs, and Husker Du.
- The current ____ for education is more about collaboration than it used to be.
- Many students, after high school, go to _____ schools instead of traditional 4-year colleges.
- Madely studied for the test and earned an A ______ Wyatt didn’t study and earned a D.
“Vocab, 3/7.” (13)
- Although you might think they do, recent studies have concluded that cough _____(ants) don’t really stop your cough.
- On the last day of school, the kids ran ______(ly) through the halls.
- After the second offense the punishment _____(ed) from chastisement to use of the discipline wand.
- Jonas felt ____ after receiving the memory of war. (Not lethargic.)
- The Lemony Snicket books are known for their ____ humor about seemingly terrible events.
- (2) Vladek tried to ____ the ____ amount of food they were allowed by working on the black market.
- * (2) The physical training she had to ______ was very _____, and made her feel like she could do anything.
- Bonus: Since the word undergo is a verb, what is its past tense?
“Da Givah 11- 12 Quiz.”
- Why was it so exhausting for The Receiver to give Jonas the memory of snow?
- (2) The Receiver says he has _____, but not _____. (Yes, the order matters.)
- The Receiver says he started Jonas off with memories of pleasure because that’s what worked last time he trained a new receiver. a) True b) False
- Why does the Giver call himself that?
- Even though Jonas is forbidden to talk about his training, he thinks even if it were not, it still would be impossible to discuss things with his friends. Why?
- The Giver thinks they made a mistake when they got rid of color. a) True b) False
- Which quote foreshadows a conflict between Jonas and the community? a) “I apologize for making you wait.” p85 b) “She expected him to describe his first day of training.” p85 c) “You’re beginning to see the color red.” p89 d) “We shouldn’t have!” p91 e) “Everyone in the community has one-generation memories.” p88-89
- We are in the ____ of the story. a) exposition b) inciting incident c) rising action d) climax e) falling action