Checking: Vocab definitions and SMYKs.
Bonus: What recent vocab word?
Correct yesterday’s shtuff.
“Husker Du, 3/14.” Write the answer not the letter.
Period One – Test #13.
- “In this brief fraction of a moment, they take the first step toward performing a _____ that changes people from a group into a mob.”
- The root of this word means shape or form: _____ a) instill b) colloquial c) metamorphosis d) insomnia e) NOTA
- Who are the real “monsters” on Maple Street? a) Figure One and Figure Two b) The people of the Twilight Zone. c) The people of Maple Street. d) Whoever sent the ship. e) NOTA.
- How can we connect the meanings of The Outsiders and MoMS? a) They both show that we often judge people by insignificant things. b) They both show that money doesn’t equal good. c) They both show death is bad. d) They are both very pessimistic about people. e) There’s no connection at all.
- “There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices…” a) climax b) theme c) conflict d) irony e) point of view
Period Two – Test #21. a) succumb b) subsist c) presumptuous d) reproach e) cathartic f) frugal g) cobble h) futile i) dissemble j) ambivalent
- She tried to stay awake during math, but it was ________ …
- … and she finally _______(ed) to the boredom and nodded off.
- During the TV marathon, we _____(ed) for two days on chips and pizza.
- The root of this word means “to clean out.” _____
- The cheese is on the table with little toothpicks in it, and the napkins are beside the forks.
Period Three – Test #15. a) paradigm b) comprise c) gender d) adapt e) conduct
- Tomorrow’s test will ____ three sections: vocabulary, SAWs, and Husker Du.
- The current ____ for education is more about collaboration than it used to be.
- Please ______ yourself respectfully in the museum.
- Creatures that can’t _____ as their environment changes will not survive.
- The attack on Pearl Harbor occurred on what date? a) December 7, 1979 b) December 8, 1941 c) December 7, 1949 d) December 7, 1941 e) December 6, 1949 f) NOTA
Period Five – Test #11.
- The Socs are the ____ social class in 1967 Tulsa. a) rueful b) illicit c) vain d) elite e) asset f) bleak g) NOTA
- I was _____ that my dad blamed me for the broken lamp when it was my brother who did it! a) contemptuous b) dogged c) conducive d) gorge e) reluctant f) indignant g) NOTA
- For Esteban, the word dropout had the ______ of a delinquent breaking out windows. a) incredulous b) exploit c) defunct d) premonition e) connotation f) savvy g) NOTA
- Even though he may not be “book-smart” he has a lot of ____ about the world. a) savvy b) assets c) facade d) connotation e) leery f) reminisce g) NOTA
- My parents were a little _____ about the crowd I was hanging out with. a) nonchalant b) gingerly c) leery d) wistful e) defunct f) patronize g) NOTA
“Vocab, 3/14.” Once each.
- The elephant reached out with its ____trunk.
- Jonas said that the main feeling in his Stirrings dream was the ______(ing).
- One of these days your knees will ____ under the weight of your giant backpacks.
- The chatter in the class reached a ______, and then Mr. Coward yelled, “Quiet!”
- He didn’t realize the _____ of his mistake until much later when it all came back to haunt him.
- Lack of sleep _____(s) itself in many ways, such as an actual drop in intelligence.
- The test supervisor was not very ____, and many students cheated on the test.
- (2) Sometimes when a guest teacher is a little _____ in the discipline department, classes will _____ to being kindergartners again.
- (2) The guest teacher had better not be _____(ed) by your class, or you will be in great _____ when Mr. Coward returns.
Dah Givah. “Bye-bye, little guy.”
“Dah Givah, 17-20.” Write the letter AND enough of the answer to distinguish it from the others.
- (quote) Find a quote on p136 that looks like foreshadowing.
- What is the inciting incident of our book? ( “The inciting incident was…” Be careful!)
- Starting with chapter 20, we are now entering the _____ of the story. a) exposition b) rising action c) climax d) falling action e) resolution f) NOTA
- As Jonas watches the release of the twin, what other memory comes to him? a) The broken leg on the sled b) Gabriel’s smiling face. c) The wounded kid in the war scene. d) Hunger. e) NOTA
- How long has Jonas been in training with the Giver? a) a few weeks b) a few months c) about a year d) a couple of years e) There’s no way to tell.
- The Giver tells Jonas that the worst part of holding the memories is… a) the pain b) having feelings c) it’s really hard d) the loneliness e) NOTA
- What was the Giver’s first sign that he had the power to receive memories like Jonas? a) He saw colors like Jonas. b) He was able to feel pain even with medication. c) He was able to hear music. d) He was able to feel emotions even with the pills. e) NOTA
- What plan do The Giver and Jonas make? a) They will both escape the community together. b) Jonas will break the rules three times so he has to be Released. c) Jonas will start releasing memories to people in the Community to show them what they’re missing. d) Nothing; they will continue on as normal because there’s nothing they can do. e) They fake Jonas drowning in the river. f) NOTA
- The Giver makes Jonas understand that _____ is the meaning of everything. a) joy b) survival of the community c) deep feelings d) caring about others e) NOTA
- What’s the Giver’s plan when his and Jonas’s plan is finished? a) To go Elsewhere like Jonas. b) To hide so the Community doesn’t punish him. c) To become leader of the Community d) To die. e) NOTA
- Whom does Rosemary turn out to have been? a) Jonas’s “sister” b) the Giver’s spouse c) the Giver’s sister d) an outsider e) NOTA