Tomorrow’s Test: Husker Du for your class, Vocab, Giver.
“Husker Du, 3/8.” Write the answer.
Period One: Test #18.
- There are some things in life that we’ll never know. a) independent b) dependent c) not a clause
- You must say, “Sir,” when you say, “Mr. Coward.” a) independent b) dependent c) not a clause
- Maybe the mall where the store was charged a high rent. a) independent b) dependent c) not a clause
- My punishment was _____ in my room until morning. a) solitary b) system c) mental d) confinement e) independent f) NOTA
- How many battles did Vladek fight in as a soldier? a) 1 b) 2 c) 3 d) 4 e) 0
Period Two: Test #14.
a) reluctant b) contented c) barren d) surfeit e) prosperous f) scowl g) begrudge h) lout i) berate j) graft
- After being uncared for for so long, the fruit tree was ______.
- Only the very ______ people in Alyce’s day were able to afford to eat eel pie.
- True or False? The proverb “The early bird catches the worm” seems particularly appropriate to the subject of your paper, so you decide to quote it. You need to find a book of proverbs so that you can provide a citation.
- Which of these things could the phrase “a sound of thunder” reasonably represent? a) The sound of the T-Rex approaching. b) The effects of their actions on the future. c) The sound of the guns. d) All of the above. e) NOTA
- The real theme of “ASoT” is probably… a) don’t mess with time. b) don’t try to change the past. c) small actions can lead to huge consequences. d) don’t kill butterflies. e) hunting is bad f) NOTA
Period Three: Test #8.
a) intrigue b) benevolent c) apprehensive d) wheedle e) sift f) transgression g) aghast h) ebb i) nondescript j) enhance
- The candidate’s popularity ______(ed) as scandal after scandal about his opponent was uncovered.
- After Mr. Shmarty lost his ring at the beach, they ______(ed) through the sand until they found it.
- I think ____ going to be OK. a) there b) their c) they’re d) NOTA
- The upstairs library is a great place for quiet study. Adjectives? a) upstairs b) great, quiet c) upstairs, great, quiet d) upstairs, great e) NOTA
- we: a) first person b) second person c) third person d) fourth person
Period Five: Do Period Three’s Warm Up. You are out of questions.
The ALL NEW Vocab Relay! Mime Stylie! (Charades.)
“Da Givah 13-14.” Write the distinguishing words OF THE ANSWER.
- For Jonas, what is the most frustrating rule of his training? a) The one about medication for pain. b) The one about talking about his training. c) The one about rudeness. d) The one about lying. e) NOTA
- What disturbed Jonas the most about the memory of the elephant? a) The guns. b) The blood. c) The brutality of the men. d) The fact that there were two colors of men. e) The anguish (pain) of the other elephant.
- When the previous successor to The Giver failed, what happened? a) The people had no one to make decisions. b) The Receiver was punished. c) Her memories were released into the Community, and the people felt pain. d) The books were banned when people found out. e) They had to release her. f) NOTA
- What does the Giver say that shocks Jonas? a) “I don’t even know why they need a Receiver…” b) “Frightening isn’t it?” c) “They know nothing.” d) “And you will (suffer). It’s my life. And it will be yours.” e) “Sameness sucks.” f) NOTA
- On p100, when the Giver says, “And next it will be you. A great honor,” he is being ironic. a) True b) False
- The Giver says that knowing facts without having memories is… a) stupid b) conflict-free c) easier d) meaningless e) intelligence f) NOTA
- What makes Jonas feel “desperately lonely”?
- The Giver tells Jonas that the memories of pain and suffering give them _____.
- What memory was the strongest when the Elders sought the Giver’s advice about increasing the birthrate? __________
- What power did Jonas discover that “frightened” him?